If your kids share a sweet tooth with you, indulge them in making their favorite cakes from scratch the next time you crave desserts!
We’ve compiled a list of mug cakes that take five minutes on the clock to make and are an excellent kids activity to do with the little ones.
Reward them for completing their homework, or make brunch on Sunday, mug cakes are perfect for any occasion. With ingredients of everyday use, you can make a wide range of these literal mug cakes.
Here are a few fan-favorites for you and your children to choose from:
1) CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
For the cake
- ¼ Cup All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ Cup White Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- ⅛ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ⅛ Teaspoon Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Water
- ¼ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Microwave-Safe Cup
- Ice Cream of Choice
- Chocolate Syrup
- Powdered Sugar
Total time: 5 to 7 minutes
- Add all the dry ingredients – flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt – to a large microwave-safe mug and mix well.
- Stir in milk, canola oil, water, and vanilla extract.
- Cook in the microwave for about 3 minutes, or until the cake is done in the middle.
- Sprinkle some powdered sugar and serve hot with a dollop of ice cream and syrup!
- For a healthier version, use 1 1/2 tablespoons of plain unsweetened applesauce and use 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon water instead of the milk.
- Mix really well and you will end up with a cake that rises beautifully and has a great texture.
2) CARAMEL APPLE MUG CAKE
For the Streusel Topping
- 1/2 teaspoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
For the Cake
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons apple sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons diced apples
- Microwave-safe mug
- Caramel Sauce
Total Time: 8 minutes
- For the streusel topping, mix the flour, butter and brown sugar in a small bowl. Mash this mixture with a fork until you have a visibly crumbly texture.
- In a big mug, combine the dry ingredients like flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Add the apple sauce and mix well.
- When you see the batter is fluffy, add milk and diced apples and mix gently.
- Cook in the microwave for about 2 minutes, or until the edges of the cake start to pull away from the cup.
- Garnish with the streusel topping and caramel sauce and serve hot and fresh!
3) FUNFETTI MUG CAKE
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp granulated white sugar
- 3 tbsp fat free milk
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp sprinkles
- Microwave-safe mug
Total Time: 4 minutes
- In a big microwave-safe mug, add all the dry ingredients like flour, baking powder and sugar. Mix well.
- Add milk, oil and vanilla extract to this mixture and whisk until the batter is completely smooth.
- Stir in about 1 tsp of sprinkles and scatter the remaining on top.
- Cook in the microwave for about 2 minutes, or until the cake looks done.
- Serve hot and fresh!
Milk can be substituted for other types, but many experiments have shown that fat-free milk yields the best results.
If you happen to make any of these recipes with your kids, we’d love to see it! Head over to our social media handles and tag us, @ #seasonsville.